Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Review: Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey


Whisper the Dead (The Lovegrove Legacy #2)
by Alyxandra Harvey
Publishers: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Published: October 7th, 2014
Pages: 408
Cousins Gretchen, Emma, and Penelope are all dealing with what it means to be a Lovegrove. For Gretchen, it means she often feels like her head is going to explode. As a Whisperer, Gretchen constantly hears the whispers of other witches' spells. And while this does help her to know when one of her own spells is going wrong, the incessant buzzing and pain the whispers cause makes it difficult to use her gift.

But when something evil begins to menace Mayfair, Gretchen must find a way to master her power. Along with her cousins, a madcap named Moira, and the icy yet irresistible Tobias Lawless, Gretchen faces deadly threats and unimaginable loss in the hopes of preventing the terrible Greymalkin Sisters from rising again.

The second book in The Lovegrove Legacy trilogy, Whisper the Dead will leave readers spellbound.


Special Thanks to Alyxandra Harvey for mailing me an ARC of this before it hit the shelves! I was very excited to read this and am sorry that's it's taken me so long to get this review written.

The cover is just as gorgeous as the cover for A Breath of Frost was. I feel like it adequately captures Gretchen and her abilities while being artistic as well.

Here is my review both from the day I finished (Oct 9th) and today (27th)

Huge major cliffhanger. Can't believe it ended like this. 

Holy crap. 

More in depth review after I've had time to wake up from this madness. 


Oct. 27th, 2014
Ok, I've awakened. Still, holy crap. This book was amazing and I am SO glad it didn't fall into the sequel trap. Then again, because each book is about a different cousin, it seems like these could be read as stand alones (although you'd be missing a lot of info.) I quite like it. 

Gretchen is amazing, she's sassy, head-strong, independent and seemingly careless for propriety and the standards that society has constructed for her. If I had a daughter I'd love for her to be somewhat like Gretchen. 

Her relationship with Godric was also adorable. I love when twins complete each other. Enough on that topic. 

Tobias is such a hard ass, and I quite like it. There's just SOMETHING about a strong FMC breaking down the walls that the MMC has built that is so satisfying, and I wasn't disappointed here either. Gretchen and Tobias were MEANT for each other and while we don't see a solid relationship at the end I have high hopes for the third book. 

I'm quite interested as to how the third book is going to read. The first was mainly in Emma's POV, the second in Gretchen's. The third, it would be safe to assume, should be in Penelope's. YET, given the...circumstances it might also be safe to assume that it will be in Gretchen's with tidbits of Penelopes and Emma's. Hmmm. 

Either way I was immensely thrilled with this book and I can't wait to get to the third...which is a long ways off. 


So, as you can tell, I was seriously wowed with this, and was in a major book hangover until around now. I still want to go back and scour the pages for anything I may have missed. 

Be on the look out for the third book in the series - there isn't any info on Goodreads just yet! 


No comments: