Thursday, May 22, 2014

Review: The Shadow Prince by Stacey O'Neale


The Shaow Prince (Mortal Enchantment 0.5) by Stacey O'Neale
Publishers: Phoenix Reign Publishing
Published: March 25th, 2014
Pages: 111
This prequel novella is FREE and available on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble!

Every sacrifice has consequences.


Sixteen-year-old Rowan has spent most of his life living among the mortals—learning to control the element of fire, impatiently awaiting the day his vengeful mother, Queen Prisma, will abdicate her throne. When he finally returns to Avalon for his coronation, his mother insists he must first prove his loyalty to the court by completing a secret mission:

Kill Kalin, the half-human, half-elemental daughter of the air court king.


Willing to do anything to remove his mother from power, he agrees to sacrifice the halfling. He returns to the mortal world with his best friend, Marcus, determined to kill the princess. But as he devises a plan, he starts to question whether or not he's capable of completing such a heinous task. And what price he will pay if he refuses?



Hi guys! Today I'm reviewing The Shadow Prince by Stacey O'Neale. I admit I was roped in when the author shared on her facebook page "Like Ash from the Iron Fae series? Then you'll love Rowan." I mean, how could I not bite especially after seeing that this was free on Amazon? (Although I HAVE to admit that I am, and forever will be, Team Puck.)

Either way I read this in a few hours while waiting to take my final exams at college. I think my nerves made me read a little faster. This is shorter and the font was pretty big on my iPad, so if you're looking for a quick read then you may want to turn to this. 

At times I felt like the characters were a little too relaxed and cocky, although nothing really had happens in the very beginning, so they do sound true to teenaged characters. I really like that about Ms. O'Neale's writing - she very wonderfully captures the true thoughts and feelings of characters that are supposed to be this way. There are seriously grievances  that occur, but they handle it as best as they can. 

I have to admit that I was a little shocked at how cruel Queen Prisma could be. I wouldn't think that someone could treat their own children the way that she does, and it's kind of sickening. If you're light of heart, then you may have trouble reading over some of the more gory parts, but it's really not that bad. 

I give this 4 triquestras for being a nice, easy read that ropes me into the series. I'm waiting for the first book to arrive in my hands! 

No comments: