Saturday, May 24, 2014

Review: Bloody Little Secrets by Karly Kirkpatrick



Bloody Little Secrets (Bloody Little Secrets #1) by Karly Kirkpatrick
Publishers: DarkSide Publishing
Published: May 26th, 2011
Pages: 274
17-year-old Vicky Hernandez has a big problem. She's dead. Or not quite. After discovering she's been turned into a vampire, she tries to settle into a quiet suburb of Chicago and return to a normal life. If only she could stop wanting to bite her boyfriend. Not to mention she is dying to find out who turned her, and why. She doesn't have to wait long before they come to her.



The cover for this one is decent. It's plain and reminds me of the Vampire Academy series with the color choices. Overall, not too flashy, not too plain.

I picked this up on Amazon when it was free, and at the time this review is published it still is. Get it here for kindle for free. *Note, I'm not responsible for price changes, if it's no longer free when you check out the link, I'm sorry, but that's not up to me.*

I had a few minor problems with this. I think that Vicky accepted the fact that she's a vampire a little too easily for it to be convincing. If the blood lust was as bad as it was made out to seem I doubt that she would've been able to think coherently and figure out a plan so fast. I think things fell into line a little too easily for her for most of the book and only towards the end to things get sticky for her, but even so the problems are mostly resolved a little too nicely for my tastes.

I'm also not a huge fan of characters falling in love in a week, or a little over a week. I find it to be highly played out, but the way Vicky and Drake connect so quickly and the way she can control herself is a little odd for me. Again, things fall into place so nicely for her. If she couldn't do the mind compulsion thing then everything would have fallen apart.

Either way, it's a decent read, a little bit cliche, but not too terrible. I don't think I'm going to go on and read book two, but if you do let me know what you think!


No comments: