Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review: Lady Thief by A. C. Gaughen

Lady Thief by A. C. Gaughen (Scarlet #2)
 Release Date: February 11, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teens; 308 pages
Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.

Hi...guys. I'm not going to even pretend that I'm ok. I just finished this a few minutes ago and I'm wrecked.
I'm not even sure how I'm writing this review right now because my brain is all over the place. Scarlet goes through so much... everyone goes through so much...Rob, John, Much...

The cover is beautiful. The image of Scarlet looks just like she does in the book. Haunted, cunning, brave, defiant, strong. I'm so incredibly proud of her in this book. Some of the things she's faced with...are unspeakable. I know I would NEVER be able to handle everything she goes through with such strength.
Rob, John and Much...not sure if I can even speak about them without crying. The band goes through the wringer and they come out stronger...a family.

Gisbourne forces Scarlet to come and live like a noble with him and it's hell, as we all knew it would be. I feel that she was safer living the life of a criminal than in those castle walls.

At first I had a hard time remembering what happened because I read Scarlet a while ago. Things came back as I read, but if you think that because this is a sequel the story is going to lighten up you will be sadly mistaken. This gets HEAVY. Sometimes I had to put this down and walk away for a minute. If you feel characters very deeply, like I do, then you'll have to read and take a lot of breaks. I'm still crying on and off from the last chapter. Things go from bad to worse quickly and there is a cliffhanger that leaves you dangling off the edge of hysteria into despair and hopelessness. I love Ms. Gaughen's writing. Breath-taking.

There are some happy moments and I laughed along with John and Much and cheered over Rob's many victories. I believe these guys can do anything.

5 brilliant triquetras to this. I'll count the sunsets until the next book.


No comments: