Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: The Raven Boys


The Raven Boys
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Very interesting book. Not what I expected it to be at all. There's magic and deceit and lies and mystery. Very good job to Maggie Stiefvater.

I was trying to explain this book to my wife...and I remember telling her "Maggie's writing...it's like poetry. She has such a way with words." I stand by that comment. Everything you read is like one line of music after another against a backdrop of colors and sounds and feelings.

Not sure how else to describe it. Blue is very sensible indeed, and I like her. I don't normally like female leads, but Stiefvater knows how to make realistic, believable women come to life in her novels. Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah are all so...colorful and unique in their own respects.

Noah is like a whisper, a sound that's echoing in your ear but just as soon as you hear it, it starts to fade. Ronan is like a rainstorm that's turned into a thunderstorm. Calm, gentle, and then ferocious and dangerous. Adam...oh Adam, he's so dynamic. He's proud and stubborn, but also weak minded when it comes to Gansey. Adam is a Willow tree. So many emotions under the layers, strong but bendable. But strong. He's strong.

Gansey is just Gansey. That's all there is.



View all my reviews

No comments: