Sunday, May 18, 2014

Review: Elsker by S.T. Bende


Elsker (The Elsker Saga #1) by S.T. Bende
Publishers: CreateSpace
Published: May 29th, 2014
Pages: 304
Featured in USA Today RE-RELEASING MAY 29, 2014

You don't win the heart of an immortal assassin without making a few enemies along the way. Kristia Tostenson prefers Earl Grey to Grey Goose and book clubs to nightclubs, but when she transfers from her one-stoplight town to Cardiff University in Wales she falls in love with Ull Myhr. Her new boyfriend isn't exactly what she was expecting. He's an honest to goodness Norse God - an immortal assassin fated to die at Ragnarok, the battle destined to destroy Asgard and Earth. Kristia's crazy visions are the only thing that can save their realms. Her orderly life just got very messy.


I love the new cover - this cover and the cover of "Tur" the novella that comes before this story are to die for. The models are perfect for the characters, in my humble opinion.

Ull. Unf. I love him. I completely melt every time he says "Hei hei, Kristia." How, unf. The characters in this book were really likable. I found that I was able to step into their world without too much funk. I did have a teeeeeeeeeny problem with how quickly Ull and Kristia's relationship developed. I guess if it's aligned with the fates, things would happen, but you'd think that things (I know, I know, the author warned me that there would be no nookie) would happen if they were so in love. Maybe I'm just too contemporary but I think 18 is a liiiiiiiittle young for a wedding. Might just be me. Oh well. Also, sometimes I wanted to smack Kristia's roommates. A relationship doesn't have to always be about sex. I don't think it would have been such a big deal if Kristia didn't get so flustered over talking about sex, but that's part of her character I suppose.

My inner hippie, or whatever, wishes that books would be a bit more open about sex and humans sexual nature without it having to be sleezy, or frowned upon. Normal part of life and all that. Ah well.

Other than that, which was really no big deal, then I enjoyed this book immensely. I love the new look we get at the Norse deities, (anyone else tired of blonde Thor?) and I like how the story line is intensely original. There was humor, action, tension. Oh boy tension. ;)

I give this 5 triquetras for easy to read plot, lovable characters, original story-line and one sexy Ull.
I recommend this for anyone who likes a good, clean romance with some Norse deities thrown in for good measure.