Thursday, April 3, 2014

Review: Morrigan by Laura DeLuca

Morrigan by Laura DeLuca
Publishers: Pagan Writers Press
Published: November 8th, 2012
Pages: 320
Shuffled from place to place in the foster system, Morrigan doesn't know the meaning of home. Plus, she is different. She has power over fire, the ability to move objects with her mind, and glimpse into the future. Just when she believes her life can’t get any stranger, she discovers her true identity.

Filtiarn, a knight with a dark past and a surprising secret, has been tasked with guiding the heir of Tír na NÓg through countless perils to be returned to her family. Once Morrigan has been reunited with her mother and grandmother, their triad can save the forgotten land of magic from being devoured by an ancient evil



First a big thanks to Pagan Writers Press and Laura DeLuca for giving me a copy of this to review for free!
***Receiving a copy of this didn't sway my opinions on the book in any way, shape or form.***

The cover is gorgeous. I think that the model really shows how Morrigan must have looked in her white ritual dress from the end of the novel. I really like the triquetra on her dress. :)

I feel like my thoughts are all over for this book. On one hand I really enjoyed it, and on the other I'm on the fence. I do like the story-line and the characters are pretty well written. I didn't quite jive with how quickly Morrigan realized her feelings for Tiarn. I admit that I rolled my eyes just a *little.* However, DeLuca makes it work out in the end, but I still think that the relationship developed a little too quickly for my tastes.

Morrigan is an interesting character. Part of me likes her...part of me doesn't. I guess I'm very torn on this book! There is no all good or all bad in life and I think that Ms. DeLuca achieved a great balance in this novel. Since it's written with heavy pagan themes, this works out nicely instead of making me annoyed. I truly enjoyed the book and I think that Morrigan is a very realistic depiction of someone who is 17. There are times that she was confident, times when she didn't know what the heck to do. I remember when I was 17 that I was exactly like that. Part of me thought that I was in control of my life because I was almost an "adult." Another part of me just wanted my mommy to fix everything because I had never encountered all this hard stuff before. (Yes, I still call her my "Mommy.")

Tiarn is another great character. He's very...secretive. I still feel like I don't know him very well even though I just read about 300 odd pages with him on most of them.

I feel like once we passed the halfway mark things got way better for me with this novel. I enjoyed the ending immensely and it was full of action and suspense.

All in all 3 solid Triquetras for this pagan beauty.



No comments: