Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas


Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Publishers: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Published: August 27th, 2013
Pages: 420
"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached. It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


Dear goodness, isn't Celaena just...amazing? I believe last time I referred to her as a BAMF, and the title still stands. We really see her assassin training come into play so if you don't like some death and murder in a novel, with torture and gore involved you MAY want to skip this. But you'll be missing out.

I'm in love with these characters. Celaena is totally swoon-worthy. She's beautiful, talented, funny...deadly. I love her sense of humor and I adore how she's got parts of herself sorted out. This book is anything but light-hearted though. Celaena goes through a lot, as does Chaol and Dorian.

My heart hurts from going on this roller coaster with these three. It's not really a love triangle anymore...but sometimes I wonder and I know Celaena does too.

Chaol is amazing...he can be super stupid...like at the end (don't even get me started) and Dorian...grr what a block headed stubborn combo those two are.

The only thing that bothered me with this book was all the secrets! Everyone has a million, not just one or two! Celaena, I can't even fathom how many she's got guarded, Nehemia, Dorian, Chaol, the king(!) Archer...the list goes on and on. It seems like almost every character has their own agenda and everything is one hugely tangled mess by the end.

A lot happened in this book, and I'm amazed at how Sarah J. Maas can fit all that info and secrets...and gore...into less than 500 pages. This book didn't seem nearly as large as 420 pages sounds, but it is. Even though it's a larger book it flew by. While I'm waiting so impatiently for book 3 (out of 6/7!!!) I'm going to be reading the novellas that were published in a hardcover copy.

5 triquetras to this amazing read.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't read Crown of Midnight yet, I've been waiting until it's closer to the release date of book three to read it...though that means I have accidentally read a couple of spoilers. I really can't wait to binge read book 2 and 3