Sunday, March 23, 2014

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's
Published: May 7th, 2013
Pages: 404
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.


Hi everyone! First, as usual, I'm going to be going over the cover.  Doesn't Celaena look like such a BAMF? For those of you who don't know what that means it means Bad A** Mother F*****.  Strongly worded, but appropriate, I think. I believe this cover is a remake and I love it! Not so sure that I would've picked it up if the cover wasn't so...dramatic.

Celaena's been through hell and back, a few times. She's strong, she's confident and a little cocky, but she still has the ability to laugh, to smile, to be kind to people after all she's gone through, which is why I have the biggest crush on her.

I absolutely adore the writing of this book. There's lots of description and you feel like you get to know the characters, but there's not so much that it's boring. There's a little bit of gore involved so if descriptions of bloody scenes aren't your thing, or if you have a VERY weak stomach then you might want to pass up on this - although it wasn't too bad. Some things made me cringe a little, but for the most part that wasn't a big deal. Like I said Celaena was totally bamf -like in this book. The other main characters: Chaol (pronouced Kay-All) and Dorian are equally awesome. I'm still torn between both guys. Chaol is the Captain of the Royal Guard and Dorian the prince. They're friends and I thought it would be a cheesy love triangle at first. Oh yeah, friends...they both like the girl, one's a prince..he'll get her for sure. The love triangle ends on a bit of a cliff hanger so we don't really know who is going to end up with who, which I like. I hate it when love triangles get situated in the first book and then that couple has troubles. Boring.

This book, however, was not! So, love triangle aside we then have a few other characters that we have to watch out for. Cain is one of the competitors that Celaena has to go up against and Nehemia becomes a close ally. Both have some dark moments.

All over this was a really face paced, descriptive journey that makes me drool for the second book, which I ordered and is coming in. Let me know what you thought of it if you read it, or if you think you will in the comments.


No comments: