Sunday, February 16, 2014

Review: Unhinged by A.G. Howard

Unhinged (Splintered #2) by A. G. Howard
Publishers: Amulet
Published: January 7th, 2014
Pages: 400
Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn’t show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs.

As prom and graduation creep closer, Alyssa juggles Morpheus’s unsettling presence in her real world with trying to tell Jeb the truth about a past he’s forgotten. Glimpses of Wonderland start to bleed through her art and into her world in very disturbing ways, and Morpheus warns that Queen Red won’t be far behind.

If Alyssa stays in the human realm, she could endanger Jeb, her parents, and everyone she loves. But if she steps through the rabbit hole again, she'll face a deadly battle that could cost more than just her head.

July 28th, 2013: About the Sampler

Super catching! 

Loved this even though it was only a sampler, can't wait for the actual book to come out. This is the sampler for the second book in the series and I haven't read the first one - but! This sampler made is to that I'm dying to know what happens in order for things to leave off/why this book starts this way. 

On a hunt for book one - can't wait to read it and get to book 2. Great way to hook readers! 

Edited July 29th 2013: 
This sampler definitely did it's job! I hunted down book #1, Splintered and I'm hooked! I'm waiting very patiently for Unhinged to become a full book. 

Now that I fully understand who the characters are in the sampler I can say that this was even more amazing than I first thought and my emotions are running haywire. Now that I know all the underlying tensions that between Morpheus and Jeb and Alyssa I can safely say that if I don't get to read Unhinged soon...well, I may just gomad





Edit: February 16th, 2014

As you can see my journey has been an interesting one, and one that is fitting of Wonderland, I think. On to the review! 

Just finished the actual book a few seconds ago and I have to admit that I've gone mad. I love these books, these characters, everything. 

The cover is amazing, the artwork of Morpheus is going to be made into a poster and hung above my bed. Not sure how my wife will feel about that, but she's just going to have to make an exception in this case. 

This book is amazing, I find it be a bit more enjoyable than the last one, only because now I know the characters, I know what they're like and I know to be on the lookout for plot twists. Not that it mattered, I was still taken by surprise from all the things that happened. I had sort of forgotten what happened in Splintered, but this book recaptures everything in a wonderful way so that you know what's happening, but it doesn't take forever and you're moving on with the story in a fast paced, humorous, but still sort of demented way. 

Morpheus and Jeb are still at each others throats, and Alyssa is still trying to figure things out. Progress is made with both relationships, which is delicious. 

We get to know Alyssa's mother, Allison, because she's prevalent and we learn about Alyssa's father as well. 

The novel is very fast paced and we get a lot of insight to many different struggles and battles, but we didn't get into a lot of GREAT stuff until the ending, and then we are left with a HUGE, GIANT CRAZY cliff hanger. 

I'm glad to say that this hasn't turned into oneofthoooose sequels, but I wish we could have gotten a little more oomph. 

More Morpheus would be nice, even though he was in 95.9% of the book. Jeb fans will be a bit sad of the lack of him....mysterious indeed! 

HOWEVER! If you're a die hard fan like I have become, and you want ALL THE GOODNESS NOW. Then I suggest you wait because it'll be about a year before the next, and final (NOOOO) book it out. So, if you want to wait then I suggest you don't put yourself through the torment like I will have to for the next 10+ months. What have I done? 


No comments: